Sunday, July 6, 2008

Shooting in San Diego

Hey everyone. I'm out here in San Diego, California for a wedding I don't have to shoot! Relaxation? What's that? (wink) It's always great to spend some time with family and get away from the hustle and bustle of the daily grind. However, I wouldn't be a good photographer if I didn't at least do some shooting out here. So, here's a few shots that I took when out with the family.


(Flowers in the Aunt's Garden - I miss Chris' macro)

(Flowers in the Aunt's Garden) ~love the burnt color

(Seaport Village vicious parrot attack) (j/k)

(Not so vicious parrot)

(These flowers are actually made out of wood)

(Only the best for the padre)

(USS San Diego Memorial)

(USS San Diego Memorial)

(Statue in front of the USS Midway Aircraft Carrier)

(Bob Hope Memorial) ~ love this shot

I typically like to shoot the early evening downtown cityscape type of shots, but sometimes you have to work in mid-day sun with the family. The trick to good photography is to find the beauty in everyday things. It may not be interesting to everyone, but if it's interesting to you...take the shot. I think that many photographers (myself included) sometimes get into the mindset that you need perfect lighting, or you have to wait for the "magic hour". The challenge is to take the ordinary and make it extraordinary. Ask Jay Maisel! Check out his web site:

Click here to see some of his work: Nikon Master Series

"Always carry a camera", is the motto that Jay has been preaching for years. Good advice. The only way to become a better photographer is to shoot, shoot, and shoot some more! (even then, you haven't learned everything)

-Steve

No comments: